Vandžiogala is a town in the northern part of Kaunas district, 29 km away from the center of the district. In the northern part it is bordered by Pelėdnagiai Eldership of Kėdainiai District, and Kulva Eldership of Jonava District. In the east it is bordered by Žeimiai Eldership of Jonava District, and Lapės Eldership of Kaunas District. In the south it is bordered by Domeikava Eldership of Kaunas District, in the west – by Babtai Eldership of Kaunas District.
The area of the eldership is 12,631 ha. 27 villages are located here. Currently, nearly 2,000 people reside in the eldership (about 1,000 in Vandžiogala town).
Vandžiogala is located by the stream Urka. The name of the location consists of two words: “Vandys” and “galas” (in Lithuanian “the end”). Both words form the meaning: a part of the residential location or village that belongs to Vandys family (Vandys is a personal name, surname). Some people call the location Vendžiogala, but it is incorrect: this is the influence of the name distorted by Poles (Wendziagola). The name Wandyagel can be found in the chronicles of the Teutonic Order, and in the documents of the 16th century that are written in Old Slavonic - Vondziakgola.
Vandžiogala is old place and is known since the 14th century. It is mentioned in the chronicles of the Teutonic Order that Markvard Schulbach, the Vice Komtur of Ragnit (Ragainė), who in 1384 was sent by the Order to Lithuania to support Vytautas against Skirgaila, found people who have gathered together in Vandžiogala shrine and began fierce fighting. Germans won: 120 Lithuanians were killed instantly, others escaped or were taken captive, 300 of them were taken by the Komtur, 200 - by Vytautas.
During the times of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, Vandžiogala manor belonged to Jonas Rastauskas and Marija Rastauskienė, also to Chlopicki and Hartowski families, and others. Next the manor the town al
A town also grew near the manor. In 1643, it was granted trading privileges.
After the end of the Second World War, in 1945 several neighbourhoods formed in the territory of Vandžiogala Volost.
In 1948, all neighbourhoods were merged into a single neighbourhood and were named Vandžiogala Neighbourhood.
The region, which is famous for its rich historical experience, is still very multinational.
Lithuanian, Russian, Polish historical, ethnographic, religious, cultural heritage, traditions, that are fostered by the local enthusiasts, intertwine in Vandžiogala.
Vandžiogala is the land of farmers: more than 70% of the land are still used for agriculture.
Active cultural life organisers awaken the quiet town from drowsiness, young voices can be heard echoing in the renewed sports and playgrounds of Vandžiogala: for several years now, the number of pupils in Vandžiogala Gymnasium has not been decreasing.
Prepared according to the book “Decades in the Area around Kaunas” (“Pakaunės dešimtmečiai“) (compiled by Petras Garnys).