Neveronys Eldership is located in the eastern part of Kaunas District, northeast of the central part of Kaunas city, behind Palemonas. The main Lithuanian Vilnius-Klaipėda highway forms a border with Kaunas city. Kaunas Lagoon is nearby.
The eldership is situated on a plain and is surrounded by forests on three sides. The forests of Neveronys surroundings is the home of black stork – a rare species of birds that is listed on the List of extinct and endangered species of Lithuania. In order to commemorate this rare bird, it became a symbol of the Coat of Arms of Neveronys.
There are two railways in the territory of the eldership: Kybartai–Šumskas and Vilnius–Klaipėda.
3,391 people declared their place of residence in Neveronys Eldership. The eldership covers an area of 1,299 hectares, of them – 35 hectares of forest, and 12 hectares of water bodies.
The name of Neveronys was first mentioned in historical sources in 1744. The name of the location is believed to be derived from the surname of the noble Neverovicz family that is mentioned in the military lists of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania of the 14th century. After the restoration of Lithuanian state, in 1923 there were two villages - Old Neveronys and New Neveronys. These two parts of Neveronys are divided by railway that runs between Kaunas and Vilnius.
In 1927, an elementary school was established in Old Neveronys. It was established by then head of the local authority Jonas Jankauskas. In 1934, the school was moved to the house of Zigmas Apanavičius, the rifleman of Independent Lithuania, in New Neveronys. The school operated for only one year and then it was moved to Palemonas. Two wooden buildings, that housed Neveronys Elementary School during the period of pre-war independent Lithuania, survived to the present day.
During the interwar period, Neveronys belonged to Pažaislis Volost. The population was low since most of the land belonged to the families of large farmers: Mikalauskas, Radzevičius and Mickevičius.
During the Bolshevik occupation, Neveronys became an auxiliary settlement of the kolkhoz. In July 1959, after the river Nemunas was dammed, the residents of the flooded Vieškūnai village in the territory of Kaunas Lagoon moved to Neveronys. The elementary school was also moved here.
Neveronys enlarged significantly in 1966 when the Construction and Repair Board of the Deaf Society began operating in the settlement. A store, a quarter of residential houses were built, the wooden school was reconstructed by installing masonry around its existing walls.
A real spurt in the settlement construction began in 1978 when the former LSSR Council of Ministers approved the construction of the Neveronys Greenhouse Combine in Pabiržis village. Over the period of several years, 12 hectares of winter greenhouses with industrial buildings were installed. An administrative building, apartment buildings and a nursery for 140 children were built.
The main trunk networks and roads, treatment facilities were built. This allowed individual construction to expand. The companies of the city started moving their production buildings to Neveronys. The branch of Alytus House Building Combine was set here.
The combine of greenhouses became the centre of the new settlement. In 1985, the greenhouses covered an area of 204 hectares, 570 workers worked there. Unfortunately, the company failed to adapt to the new economic conditions and the year 1990 marks the beginning of its collapse. At the beginning of 2012, the company Neveronių Šiltnamiai (Neveronys Greenhouses) suspended its activities.
Huge quarters of individual construction were planned behind the high-pressure gas pipeline, in the recultivated area of Krūna clay quarry, and in 1982 a project to expand the settlement to the population of 7,000 people was prepared. The workers of Palemono keramika (Palemonas ceramics) and of other Kaunas organizations started building private houses here. However, the new land reform halted the expansion of these quarters.
In 1993, the administrative building of the greenhouse combine was transformed into a secondary school.
In 1996, Neveronys Eldership was founded.
In 1998, Neveronys Cultural Hub was established.
The establishments and organisations that currently operate in Neveronys: eldership administration, secondary school, library, cultural hub, nursery, outpatient clinic, post office.
Public organizations and citizens' initiatives operate in the territory of the eldership: Neveronys Community Centre and Neveronys Youth Centre.
Art amateur collectives contribute to viability of the eldership: the amateur theatre "Židinys", children's drama group "Vijoklis", folklore ensemble "Viešia", the group of the singers of Lithuanian multipart songs "Jorė", the senior folk dance group "Kupolio rožė ", youth folk dance group "Upė".
Around 30 companies operate in the territory of Neveronys eldership. Residents work in the sectors of woodworking, food, services, education.
Prepared according the book “Decades in the Area around Kaunas” (“Pakaunės dešimtmečiai“) (compiled by Petras Garnys).