Batniava Eldership is a continuous territorial unit that borders the river Nemunas in the west, the Eldership of Vilkija Neighbourhoods in the north, Kulautuva Eldership in the south and Raudondvaris Eldership in the east. Thanks to the road infrastructure, the residents of this territory have a convenient access to the centre of the eldership. Bubiai village, which is the centre of the eldership, is the mostly populated residential area that is situated near the main road Kaunas-Jurbarkas-Šilutė-Klaipėda that crosses the territory of the eldership.
By the decision of the Council of Kaunas District Municipality, on 1 January 2008, Batniava Eldership was established. The eldership covers an area of 4,281 hectares. It has a population of 1,500 people.
Batniava, Beiniūnai, Brūžė, Bubiai, Dulkiai, Gineitai, Kriemala, Kvesai, Mozūriškiai, Naujiena, Paštuva, Rupunioniai, Tirkšliai, Tolivardžiai, Virbaliūnai, Žėbiškiai, Žvirgždės villages are attributed to the eldership. “Kriemala”, “Paštuva” and “Batniava” societies of allotment gardens exist here for many years now.
Bubiai, Kvesai, Virbaliūnai, Naujiena are the largest settlements in the eldership. Recently, construction of residential houses in these settlements became more intense. Consequently, the number of the residents grows, the villages are becoming larger.
The territory of the eldership is divided into 4 sub-elderships. Bubiai village is the centre of the eldership. The office of Batniava Eldership of Kaunas District Municipality Administration, medical post of Vilkija Primary Healthcare Centre, the branch of the Central post office (in 1886, a post station that served the territory between Kaunas and Raseiniai operated in Bubiai), two shopping centres operate in Bubiai. On 1 September 2017, a multi-functional centre that includes a primary school, a nursery school, library, Batniava leisure hall, will start its operation.
The building of the Monastery of St. Joseph and St. Baby Jesus Theresa Barefooted Carmelites Convent in Tolivarždiai village, that was built in 2000, stands out by its originality, architectural contrivance and magnificence. The nuns are engaged in charity activities, they participate in social programmes, provide both material and moral support to those who go through times of trouble. Next to the Monastery is a parish house of the religious community where mortuary services are provided. In 2015, a burnt small wooden rectangular chapel with a sloping roof on two sides and an iron cross on the top of it, and side windows was rebuilt on the edge of the cemetery. There was a small altar inside the chapel. The elderly people used to say that the heartbeat of Jesus can be heard coming from that altar. For this reason, this place is treated as sacred. In the same cemetery, the remains of Jonas Vailokaitis, the Signatory to the Act of 16 February, one of the most influential public and societal figures of the Interwar Lithuania, the Minister of Finance, banker, industrialist, who died in 1944 in Germany, lie in peace next to the remains of his brother priest Juozas Vailokaitis.
The villages of Batniava Eldership are reminiscent of the deep past of history. Paštuva is one of the oldest village, the land of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. The name of Paštuva was first mentioned in historical sources (in the Chronicles of Peter of Dusburg) in 1292, and in 1323 the Castle of Paštuva was mentioned. Numerous archaeological findings, however, testify to the fact that people lived in this territory, by the river Nemunas, in the Neolithic Age (approximately 3,000-1,500 years B. C.). Traces of Neolithic camp are found by the river Tamsė in Brūžė village.
The old graves in Paštuva, the old grave in Rupunioniai village which is called Sidabrinis kalnas (literally Silver Hill), the ancient settlement in Virbaliūnai village are reminiscent of historical past, and the archaeological findings that were found in the Stone Age settlement in Kriemala village are stored in the museums of Kaunas and Vilnius.
The slope, which is called a slope of sky gliders, where during the period from 1945 to 1957 the main gliding base of the Republic called “Virbliūnai“ operated and was a valley of sky gliders, is a significant historical monument and a gemstone not only in terms of appreciation of geographic location. In this space, the wings of Lithuanian sky gliders matured and were getting stronger, and ideas of freedom floated around. No wonder that the beautiful nature and historical heritage are of interest to archaeologists, historians, lovers of art and nature beauty. But the hardworking and friendly members of the local community who love their land, foster the nature and historical heritage, beautiful national traditions are what the eldership is proud of the most.